Thursday, September 6, 2018

Well hello it’s almost Fall! And it’s crunch time on the farm!

Hello again!
It has been a while, and there is so much to update you on, so let’s get to it!
We are now a bit more than three quarters of the way through our four quarter flower season. And this time of year is the hardest time in any farmers life. It is crunch time! When we are simultaneously harvesting like mad, bug bitten, heat stricken, and cross, and on our down time -between deliveries- are feverishly sowing hundreds of trays of seedlings with dreams of when they will burst into bloom next Spring. These are the dog days of late Summer. Now is also when the ground must be prepped for Fall planting, a wellhouse and seeding room must be designed and built, and the Greenhouse must be cleared of rafter tall weeds, and rebuilt from the ground up after a tornado briefly touched down in May and demolished it. All of which has to be done in the next 56 days before the first frost.
Then there is the fact that we have decided to go for it and plant hundreds of dahlias into said Greenhouse and dozens of other types of flowers and for the first time, grow flowers all Winter. To do that my sweet husband had designed and built a heater which will heat the Greenhouse to a nice balmy 40 degrees all Winter. With a bit of luck and a LOT of prayer, and sweat...we should have cut dahlias, ranunculus, anemones, stock, sweet peas, snapdragons, and much more, ready by Christmas! Oh yes, and in my downtime (ha!) I am working on getting our website up and running.
I suppose it is a good thing that I get bored easily and need lots to do simultaneously to keep from said boredom. I loathe wintertime for this very reason. Up until now Winter has been the dullest, deadest, dreariest, and flower-less season of the year. I can barely handle it most years, so hopefully this year I will have all the flowers my gluttonous heart can take all Winter long!
Flowers feed my soul. How about you? What is it that feeds your soul? Leave me a comment and let’s chat about it!
Stay tuned! Big doing’s planned, announcements, and so much to share with you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment